It’s almost that time of year again when we say goodbye to winter, the holidays, and (sometimes) a season of unhealthiness. Along with our homes, our health can use a little “spring cleaning”. The following article will give you a blueprint for detoxifying your body after a long winter, a little fitness ‘kick in the pants’ to get your motivation back, and finally a re-boot for your mind (and soul).
After the holiday season, many of us made resolutions to get back on track, sometimes those goals hit a roadblock moments after making the list. Why? Well, for some it’s lack of motivation. For others, it’s a lack of planning or guidance, and for some, you’re still going strong and that’s fantastic! If you are in the category of us that “need a little motivation”, this Spring Cleanup for your Health will help get you started.
Spring Clean Your Diet- 3 Day Detox
- Load up on antioxidants, bright fruits and vegetables, whole grains, beans, spinach, kale, blackberries, artichoke hearts, cranberries, nuts, and avocado.
- Drink 4 12 oz glasses of water with lemon every day, try and eliminate caffeine, alcohol, and dairy from your diet during your 3-day detox. Drink a cup of green or chamomile tea each afternoon.
- No processed foods! No fast foods! Eat only whole foods: This does include lean meats, loads of vegetables, and whole grains. But no dairy during your detox.
- While eating, chew your food slowly and mindfully, eat every three hours a small meal or snack to keep from getting overly hungry.
Spring Clean Your Fitness Routine in One Week
Do this AFTER your 3 day diet detox to give yourself time to focus on your nutrition and well-being. When you are ready, we suggest 2-3 days of strength training per week with 5 days of cardio per week varying in intensity level between light and moderate for a minimum of 20 minutes but no longer than 60 minutes. Always, check with your doctor before starting any exercise program!
Monday: 30 minutes cardio of your choice
Arm exercises: 3 sets of 12 with 5-pound weights (more or less depending on your strength)
- Tricep Extension: With a weight in both hands, lift the hands above the head and then, keeping the elbows in close to the ears, bend at the elbow and lower the weight down behind your head.
- bicep curls
- 10 Pushups (no weights needed)
- 10 Shoulder presses
- Plank—Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat 2 more times.
- Crunches: 10 center crunches, 10 to the left, 10 to the right. Repeat 2 more times.
Tuesday: 30 minutes cardio of your choice
Wednesday: 30 minutes cardio
- Forward lunges: 15 forward lunges on your right leg. 15 forward lunges on your left leg.
- 15 squats
- Leg Raises: Lie on your back and put both feet up in the air, creating a 90-degree angle with the body. Keeping the legs straight, lower both feet back to the ground (don’t let them touch) and then raise them back up. Do three sets of 10.
- Wall sits: “Sit” for 30 seconds on the wall, making sure that your legs are at a 90-degree angle.
- Toe raises: Stand flat on your feet. Push yourself up onto the balls of your feet, hold for 3 seconds, and lower your heels. Do 3 sets of 10 (To up the intensity, try doing one foot at a time. For example, stand on your right foot. Push yourself up onto the ball of your foot, hold for 3 seconds, and lower your heel. Do 3 sets of 10, then do your left leg)
- Repeat all four exercises (lunges, squats, wall sits, and toe raises) 2 more times.
Thursday: 35 minutes cardio
Friday: 30 minutes cardio; repeat Monday’s arm and ab day.
Saturday: 45 minutes cardio, repeat Wednesday’s leg day.
Sunday: Off Day!
Spring Clean Your Mindset
Put Yourself First
Alone time is good! It provides an opportunity for you to reflect, plan, and relax without interruptions. Try an hour or two a day to walk, exercise, read, or do something that doesn’t involve others (and don’t feel guilty about it!)
Get in Touch with your Spiritual Side
Take time to meditate, pray, or do something that connects you to a healthy spiritual relationship. When you understand who you are and what your purpose is, you’ll begin to live with more peace and passion.
Try Something New
Explore life by venturing outside of your comfort zone. Go to a concert, spend time in nature, plan a healthy get-a-way (think Unite Fitness Retreat :)) or do anything that allows you to take in an enjoyable, different, or peaceful activity. Put a little laughter and excitement into your life and spread the love.